Massage is a hands-on manipulation of the soft tissues of the body, such as muscles, connective tissue and joints to speed healing, reduce pain and help improve the functioning of the immune system. Massage may also alleviate stress and depression, as well as symptoms of migraines, soft tissue injuries, strains/sprains, lower back pain and muscle tension.
Neuromuscular Massage Therapy
Neuromuscular Massage Therapy (NMT) is an advanced massage technique that focuses on stimulating the origin and insertion of the muscles and areas of the muscle that exhibit metabolic changes called
Myofascial Trigger Points. These points are located within taut bands of muscle and are treated with the application of sustained pressure.
Longitudinal strokes along the muscles fibers are also used in a specific manner to reduce hypertonicity of the muscles. NMT, by manipulating the soft tissues of the body (muscles, tendons and connective tissue), balances the Central Nervous System with the Musculoskeletal system and corrects any imbalances between the two. As a result chronic pain is reduced, the function of joints and muscles is improved and range of motion is increased. It also speeds the healing process by facilitating the release of endorphins.
NMT is used to address five elements that causes pain:
1. Ischemia-lack of blood supply to soft tissues which causes hypersensitivity to touch.
2. Trigger Points-highly irritated points in muscles which refer pain to other parts of the body.
3. Nerve compression and entrapment-pressure on a nerve by soft tissue or calcific changes in the bone.
4. Postural distortion-imbalance of the muscular system resulting from the misalignment of the body.
5. Biomechanical dysfunction- imbalance of the musculoskeletal system resulting in faulty movement patterns during activities of everyday life and athletic performance.
NMT is used to treat conditions such as chronic pain, sciatica, temporo-mandibular joint dysfuntion, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, rotator cuff dysfunction, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, shin splints and tension headaches. It is used to release spasms, contractions, adhesions (scar tissue), and assists in venous and lymphatic flow, therefore reducing swelling and edema.